Monday, March 3, 2014

New Ink for I Fight in Pajamas

So this is a bit of a personal article but wanted to share since it's somewhat Jiu-Jitsu related.  My wife whom I met back in 2008 shares a lot of interests with me.  We both trained Jiu-Jitsu, kept saltwater reef tanks, and like tattoos.  She actually had apprenticed at a shop for some time and done a good deal of work but wasn't doing it as a full-time gig.  She really just wanted to learn how to do it and being artistic it just made sense at the time.  About the time I got my blue belt in 2009 I decided to get some new ink done and wanted it to be related to BJJ (something I'm passionate about). I have always had a thing for kanji and chose the Bushido code.
  • Rectitude
  • Courage
  • Benevolence
  • Respect
  • Honesty
  • Honor
  • Loyalty
I was fortunate enough to have my own girlfriend (Lindsey) at the time do this tattoo for me.


Fast forward to 2014 (now married to Lindsey) and we decided to get some work done together.  I was recently promoted to brown belt in November 2013.  I had been thinking about an octopus tattoo for years but just wasn't sure where to have it put or by whom.  She looked up one of her previous artists that had done a portrait on her ribs back around 2006.  I knew from this portrait alone the guy was super talented plus he had apprenticed under Boog...someone that's very well known all over the world in the tattoo world and considered one of the best script artists.  She looked up Lil Chris who was now working in Lancaster, TX at the Tattoo Shack.  

Stepping foot in the shop we could feel the influence of Boog as his airbrushed murals were all over the shop. 

We set up a time to meet him on Saturday afternoon and showed him the concept.  I wanted something a little more old school looking in black and gray.  Lil Chris was actually really excited to do this piece as it's not his typical type of work.  Rather than working from some flash he free-handed this octopus right on my arm. He got going around 6:30pm and we finished up around 11pm or so give or take some breaks.  


When all was said and done it was a great experience.  Lil Chris is pretty light-handed so it could have been much more painful at the hands of someone else.  I'm really happy with his work and can't recommend him enough to anyone in the area or visiting that is looking to get some work done.

Granted my wife didn't get a BJJ related tattoo I thought I would post some pictures of the work.


If you are in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area you can find Lil Chris at the Tattoo Shack: http://www.tattooshack.net/
https://www.facebook.com/inphamusone?fref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment