Thursday, May 17, 2012

First posting

I created this blog about two years ago and just now getting around to putting some content on it. I have a really bad habit of stretching myself thin at times.  Getting married, trying to maintain a normal training schedule (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu), teaching obligations at that gym, working out a few times a week at another gym, setting up a new tank (120g), keeping up with the politics and events of a reef club (DFWMAS), helping other friends in the reefing hobby, oh there's those kids too!  Things tend to get forgotten like my original intent to start a blog.  I'm not sure how active this blog will be but at the very least it gives me a place to park some thoughts rather than blowing up my friends walls on Facebook.  I don't have a goal to make this a blog specifically about anything such as, "This is going to a blog about BJJ, or this will be a blog about the reefkeeping hobby."  This is really intended to just collect all the things I'm interested in but not limited to the above. 

So what's new in my little world?  Well, we just acquired our first motorcycle.  I can honestly say I'm leery about how safe it will be for transportation but excited at the prospect of owning, riding a bike.  I credit my wife with this idea and finding a great deal on one through a co-worker.  The bike is a 2007 Suzuki Boulevard, 650cc. 


Now we need to find time to take a safety class and learn how to ride this thing.  My worst fear is I'll end up loving this thing and we'll wind up with another, more expensive bike like my brother who purchased a Ducati Monster S2R 800 last year.  65mpg will be a nice break from the 12mpg our Chevy Suburban is getting.  I fear we'll be dropping some coin on all the safety equipment soon.  If you know me well, anything I'm passionate about I really invest myself into whatever that may be.  When I was younger and played soccer, it ruled my life.  Then it was car audio, then sports cars, then reefkeeping (still is), then BJJ (still is)....I'm not really sure I've got room for a whole lot more at this point. 

7 comments:

  1. Nice bike! You're gonna love riding. My husband and I used to hit the Fla. Keys every weekend. I really miss those rides. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Suzuki is a great starter bike! Emphasis on "starter" LOL
    I have ridden it and familiarized myself with it enough to know that we are totally going to enjoy it...and upgrade, and add to the collection because just being a passenger sucks...and doing stuff without you sucks worse. :}

    LOL @ "safety equipment"
    Like a papoose you can strap me into when we go for rides? HAHAHA!
    I can't wait to take class with you, it will be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I better be careful with road rage, purple belt and Mr. and Ms. Biker Dude/Dudette. Now Lindsey just needs the leathers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bikes are fun for sure, but scary as hell. When I was a wee lad (yes they had motorcycles back then) I went from a Honda 90 (you could get a license for under 100 CCs if you were 15). I then got a Suzuki 90 and when I turned 16 got a Suzuki 550, which was their first year. Man that was fast as greased lighting. But you HAVE to stay alert. Many times I'd be crusing down a highway and the car in the next lane would change into my lane, not seeing me. I figured if I went fast enough I wouldn't have that problem :). Back then they had helmet laws so I was never tempted not to wear one. I had a major accident and was sooooo glad I had mine. I have never understood how you didn't have to wear seat belts in a car back then, now the laws force you to wear seat belts for safety but have taken away the helmut law. Go figure. But they are not that big of deal to wear and they DO make a difference. I'm jump off the soap box at this point!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, Lindsey drove it to work on Friday and said the exact thing. She noted how you could see everything from such a different perspective, every crack or bump in the road, the eye contact or lack there of with drivers, etc. LOL

    The helmet laws blow my mind and always have before we bought a bike. We will definitely be wearing one!

    ReplyDelete